Sunday, June 20, 2010

Don't worry about creating a masterpiece!


Sometimes we stop the creative process when what we are working on doesn't turn out like what we envisioned. That's no reason to quit...or take a recess for any length of time. Every creative project does not lead us to the pinnacle of our skill....we are a work in progress. I remember when my son was in second grade and when he didn't bring home any "refrigerator art", I paid a visit to the teacher and asked if she wanted me to help with the art projects since I hadn't seen any. Actually they had many art projects and my kid just wasn't bringing any home. When I spoke to him about it....he burst into tears and said, "I can't bring any home....they aren't good enough." Many hugs and reassurances later and a little motherly speech about how much I wanted to see his projects....he began to bring them home and post them on the refrigerator. Lots of validation and approval continued as he brought home his work.....and today he and his wife own an art gallery and he is a top notch photographer married to a successful painter. And by the way.....he has given me the same lecture!

1 comment: