Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Creativity uses contrast to shape life images.

Contrast is a wonderful teacher! It allows us to mindfully witness and choose that which serves our highest purpose. We are attracted, we are repulsed, there is dark and there is light, there is love and there is fear, there is laughter and there are tears. And we don't have to choose which is better.....but say YES to observing the evolution and impermanence of our present reality. It is contrasting light against dark that creates and shapes our paintings as well as our life. It is noticing and choosing in our given circumstances that which contributes rather than contaminates.....increases rather than diminishes our composition. Demanding that things stay light or perfect or in a fairy tale existence of a positive state is a state of spiritual immaturity. I remember an art therapist/artist in a workshop in Sun Valley critiquing my offering of the day saying......"That is very pretty....now paint something ugly." I was aghast, but she wanted to see the range of my emotion and it helped me get unstuck from what I call my "Hallmark card" stage. So, over the years I have learned not to shy away from contrast.....but simply sit and notice my desire to draw near of withdraw from any event or circumstance with mindful choice. When we hold on to perfection, changelessness and rigid expectations or play the powerless victim, we are missing the contrast that helps our creative life grow.




No comments:

Post a Comment