Wednesday, July 21, 2010

There are no creative emergencies!




Except for deadlines! Letting our creativity unfold easily and leisurely is the ideal, but the reality is often a push for exhibit deadlines and our own expectations of how long things should take. Watercolors are quick to dry, spontaneous and surprising and they were my painting medium, until I picked up oils this last two years. They have slowed me down and given me lessons in waiting for things to dry. Pushing them to fast is "haste makes waste".....or I would say haste makes mud. There is a vast spiritual wisdom in slowing down and enjoying the process and easing into a painting with passion. No creative process benefits from a harried pushing forward....kind of like life perhaps.

"They do not know that ideas come slowly, and that the more clear, tranquil and unstimulated you are, the slower the ideas come, but the better they are." Brenda Ueland

No comments:

Post a Comment